Monday, May 9, 2011

He didn't look like an agent so I called the police!

OK, there I was at my Broker Preview, wiping down the granite countertop where someone had dropped a piece of California Roll, and he walked in.

As usual, I said "Welcome", and "Come on back for refreshments", but this was before I had turned around and had a look at my latest visitor.

The first thing I noticed, was that his fly was undone. If this was the only odd thing about him, I wouldn't have been at all concerned, but he was wearing a faded pair of denim jeans, and a worn canvas jacket - not the kind of attire that an agent previewing a home usually wears.

On the other hand, I thought to myself, this is Southern California, and it's not like he has a client with him. Perhaps he was working from home
today, and just wanted to preview the home, (and sample some of the seared tuna sashimi or crab roll I had carefully laid out).

Things got a little, weirder. He didn't say a word, as he strode into the kitchen. I handed him the Agent MLS printout of the home, and asked him to drop a business card in the bowl. Still... not a word.... and no card either.

I had sent Mike, (my hubby), for more ice, and by this time, I wished I hadn't.

Irvine is a diverse community, so I rationalized again. Perhaps he doesn't speak English.
(I know, I know. Even if you don't speak English, you know how to say "hi", right!)

So unless he had speech issues, he wasn't an agent - the California Real Estate exam has to be taken in English.

Then he faced the living room & stretched his arms out, as if mentally measuring the room, before heading towards the staircase leading to the upstairs.

"OK", I said to myself, "Enough with giving this guy the benefit of all my doubts!". I headed him off at the bottom of the stairs and said "Sorry, the sellers asked that no-one go upstairs." Well, don't laugh - I was getting concerned by then. If I had a little more time I would thought of something else to say. Also, I wasn't about to let My Weird go upstairs on his own, and I didn't want to be upstairs alone with him either.

I was hoping like H E double-toothpicks that another agent would come in, and then he turned around and headed out the door.

Whew!

I followed him out to the street and saw that he had got on his BICYCLE and had ridden to the house next door. I watched as he opened the gate next door, and walked right into their back yard.



And THAT'S when I called the Irvine Police Department. "Was this an emergency?"
the operator asked. I told her that I didn't THINK so, but thought what if he surprised the neighbor's daughter sunbathing on their PRIVATE lawn, or what if a hundred other scenarios took place? I asked that she send a car over as soon as possible, and then described the man as best I could.

THEN my husband arrived with the extra ice I needed!

We watched the man cycle slowly away.

Two Irvine 5-0 officers arrived within minutes and started looking around. I don't think they ever found him.

I know some of you are thinking I was making a fuss about nothing, but we are talking about Irvine
here - voted by the FBI as the SAFEST CITY IN AMERICA. And not just Irvine. This happened in WOODBRIDGE. This kind of thing just does not happen in Woodbridge, (until now).

My advice to (especially female), agents, is NOT to be alone if possible. Yes, we all know that for Open Houses, that's old advice, but I was at a Broker Preview. I went online and ordered some Pepper Spray for NEXT TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails